My blogger friends and I recently started a group we’re calling The Fitting Experiment in which we will sew up patterns and showcase them on our blogs so all our sewing friends can see the looks on each body type and help determine if a pattern is for them and some of the adjustments they might need if they were to sew it up.
For our first experiment, we tried out the recently updated Sabrina Slims from Love Notions. Sabrina is a “cigarette” style pull on pant with multiple options. See the line drawing from the Love Notions listing below:
I kept it simple and went for the basic side seams with no pockets. I’ve never really loved pockets on anything me made for myself so that was an easy choice. I did add the back pockets because I feel like they make the pants look more like pants.
I used the fitting guide extensively. This thing is gold. It tells you exactly how you want to do your muslin to achieve the best fit and also includes really helpful details such as the amount of ease you want to achieve at each location.
I started out with a size larger than I would have normally for my muslin and had pretty decent results, definitely wearable. I did end up taking so much out that I went down a size nearly throughout for my red pair. I think part of this was user error in taking measurements. My fleshy bits around the hip can be a bit tough to accurately measure as I feel like they’ll squish up or down as opposed to measuring a more rigid point like my waist.
I also ended up taking out more length in the crotch and just contouring a bit. I plan to wear these to work. I love that they’re pull on and don’t cut my gut. For this pair, instead of adding elastic, I went down a size in the waistband and added clear elastic to the top seam when piecing the lining to the outer waistband. I haven’t worn them for an extended period of time yet but I suspect I’ll be comfortable and not need to keep pulling them up.
I definitely would need to fine tune the crotch and hips further on my next pair but the main difference I would make is the pockets. Rather than waiting until the pants were constructed to put on the back patch pockets, I did it sooner based on the pattern placement marks. They’re just a bit far apart for my liking. This is a super simple fix and now I know better. When I make any pant in the future, I’ll just baste or use double sided tape until I’m 100% sure.
I learned a lot about my body and good fitting techniques by sewing two pairs of these.
A special thank you to Love Notions for sponsoring The Fitting Experiment bloggers with patterns so that we can share our thoughts with you. Love Notions has kindly provided a 20% off shop discount code for all our readers. Please use this code at checkout: FittingEXPSabrinas
In addition, Love Notions has given us TWO copies of Sabrina Slims to giveaway. For a chance to win, comment below. For more chances to win, comment on the other blogs too! You can check out their posts below: